In this tutorial I’m going to show you how to add windows and corner windows in AutoCAD Architecture.
At the bottom of this tutorial you can find a video screencast showing you how to add windows and corner windows.
How to Add Windows
On the ground floor the other windows are added from the Casement window, and then a window will be changed later to Casement – Double. Then a Corner Window is placed, as well. In this case the width of the frames – in style definitions – is raised from 50 mm [2”] to 100 mm [4”] afterwards.
- On the Tool palettes change to the Windows palette and search the Casement tool icon.
Click on it and start the insertion of these windows.
- Before the first insertion go to the Properties palette – turn back to the Design tab there, if it is not active – and set the following parameters of the new windows:
Width value is 1000 [3’-4”].
Height value is 1600 [5’-3”].
Position along wall value is Offset/Center
Automatic Offset value is 500 [1’-8”].
Justification value is Center
Vertical alignment is Sill.
Sill height value is 1000 [3’-4”].
- Then go back with the cursor to the drawing area, and to command prompt select the far left external wall.
The window insertion starts.
Move the cursor slightly above the window to ensure that the dimension input of 500 mm [1’-8”] wall offset displays at the top.
When you see it, Left-Click and insert the first window.
- The next is the window of the Living room on the lower wall. If you worked correctly, in the dimension input 4310 mm [13’-8”] is seen in both sides.
TIP: It does not matter which side of the wall you click with the mouse. The swing direction of the door/window will be shown in that direction where you clicked. Of course, it can be changed later any time.
- Press ENTER and close the serial insertion of the windows.
- The width of the frame is desired to be increased to 100 [4”].
Select one of the windows and start the Edit Style command from the contextual Window tab of the Ribbon.
- On the Window Style Properties turn on the Dimensions tab, and override the value of the A-Width to 100 [4”] in the Frame field.
- Close the panel by pressing OK.
- The frame width of all the Casement windows is raised.
- Go out on the Tool palettes and from the Windows palette drag and drop the Casement – Double window style into the drawing.
Dragging the tool into the drawing area you have to wait till the program loads the selected style to the current drawing, and then ask to select a wall for insertion.
- Then press ESC to stop the inserting command. With this method you have reached that you have this style windows in the drawing, and any existing window can have this style, as well.
- Select the window in the figure with Left-Click, and on the Properties palette, set the Width parameter to 1800 mm [5’-11”].
NOTE: The lower edge of the door – originally constrained (positioned) on the upper side – will move by narrowing.
- Keep the selection and click in the cell next to the Style parameter, and from the drop-up menu choose the Casement – Double style for the window.
- You have not set the frame size of this style to 100 mm [4”] yet, so start the Edit Style command from the Ribbon at the selected window.
- On the displaying Window Style Properties panel turn to the Dimensions tab, and in the Frame field override the A-Width value to 100 mm [4”].
- Press OK to close this panel.
- The next window will be a corner window. Go to the Tool palettes, the Corner Windows palette and find the Corner Frame – Picture window style.
Click on it to start the insertion of these windows.
- Before the insertion go to the Properties palette and on the Design tab set the following parameters:
Width 1 value is 1000 [3’-4”]
Width 2 value is 1400 [4’-7”]
Height value is 1600 [5’-3”]
Vertical alignment value is Sill
Sill height value is 1000 [3’-4”]
- After it go back with the cursor to the drawing area, and to command prompt select the most left external wall.
According to dragging the crosshair upper or lower from the wall midpoint, the corner window can be positioned in that corner.
Then insert the corner window into the bottom corner, and when it is positioned there, make a Left-Click.
NOTE: The Width 1 value always applies on the selected wall, the Width 2 will apply on the joined wall.
- Then finish the serial insertion of the corner windows by pressing ENTER.
- The only thing you have to do to set the frame size of this window style to 100 mm [4”], as well.
According to one of the earlier learned methods go to the window style and set the width value to 100 mm [4”].
- The plan with windows should look like in the figure.
I hope you enjoyed this part of the AutoCAD Architecture video tutorials series (Note: Video is coming soon – make sure to subscribe to get notified about video release). In the next article I’ll show you how to modify Door/Window Assembly. If you liked this tutorial make sure you subscribe for more in the upper right corner (where you can also download the first chapters of my AutoCAD Architecture eBook free) and also subscribe to my YouTube channel.
If you would like to create the whole project of a two-story house with Sheets and Annotation, please follow the link and buy my eBook, which guides you step by step (Imperial and Metric version available).