In this part of the series you can create an ‘Elements’ type drawing named ‘ColumnGrid’, which later helps you to justify the exterior walls and other structures of the future building.
At the bottom of this tutorial you can find a video screencast showing you how to create the column grid of the building in AutoCAD Architecture.
Let’s Create the ColumnGrid For Your Building
Turn to the Constructs tab of the Project Navigator palette.
Then Right-Click on the Elements folder and select from the pop-up menu the New » Element…
- On the displayed Add Element panel type the name of the new drawing: ColumnGrid in the Name field.
- Press OK to step back to the Project Navigator. The new ‘ColumnGrid’ named drawing will be displayed in the Elements (category) folder.
- Double click on the ColumnGrid element, and the new drawing will open in the drawing area.
- Before starting to draw, make sure that the ORTHO Mode (F8) is turned on.
- From the Draw panel of the Home tab on the Ribbon, start the AutoCAD Line command, and then type as start point the coordinates 3000, 5000 [10’-0”, 16’-5”]. Drag the cursor horizontally to the right and type 24000 mm [76’-10”] length, and then press ENTER. In this way the lowest grid line is created. Press ENTER to finish drawing line.
Press ENTER once more to restart the drawing line, and type for the first point coordinates 5000, 3000 mm [16’-5”, 10’-0”] and then drag the cursor vertically up, and type 14000 mm [44’-10”].
Press ENTER twice to specify the point, and to close the Line command.
- From the Home tab of the Modify panel on the Ribbon, start the AutoCAD Copy command and create all the vertical grid lines – by repeating copying the left vertical Line to 10000, 12500 [32’-0”, 40’-0”] and 20000 mm [64’-0”].
- Copy the lower Horizontal line to 3500, 6000, 7500 [11’-3”, 19’-3”, 24’-0”] and 10000 mm [32’-0”] and create the other horizontal axis grid line.
- At the top right corner of the palette press X (Close) button and hide the left side docked Project Navigator palette and press Ctrl+3 to display the Tool Palettes at the same place.
- Right-Click on the title bar of the Tool Palettes and in the pop-up menu select to display the palettes of the Design palette group, if it’s not currently selected.
Now you will use a tool from the top Design Tool Palette.
If the whole Tool Palettes is not seen on the screen, it is possible to simply scroll it down.
Drag the palette to an empty area with the left mouse button and a small hand icon will be displayed. Keep the left mouse button pressed and drag the palette up until you find the Column Grid palette tool as shown in the figure.
Right-Click the Column Grid tool, and then select Apply Tool Properties to » Linework from the displayed pop-up menu.
NOTE: The same Tool can be found on the Ribbon Build panel of the Home tab, when the Enhanced Custom Grid list is dropped down.
- For program prompt ‘Select linework:’ (it is recommended as shown in the figure from the down right to the upper left drawn crossing selection) select all the drawing lines, and then press ENTER to close the selection.
If ‘Enter label extension or [No labels] <1200 [4’-0”]>‘ displays, press ENTER and accept the offered value.
To program prompt ‘Erase selected linework? [Yes No]
:’ give ‘y’ (yes). The program will delete the starter line work and display the intelligent column grid converted from it instead.
If the Column Grid has already been selected, it is possible to fill data into the column grid’s label. You can do it any time later on, if you do not wish to do it now.
Select the Edit Labels command from the Label panel of the contextual tab.
To start program prompt ‘Pick the first custom column grid line:’ select the first left element of the top label bar, and then in order to displayed prompts select the other three as well.
When you’re finished, move on with pressing ENTER or Right-Clicking and typing 1 to program prompt ‘Enter a label value or <->:’, so the program will upload values to the previously showed labels.
Program prompt will go on and it is possible to upload the other direction labels now.
First select the top element of the vertical label bar, and then the rest one after the other. After selecting the last element, press ENTER and type the first value: A to program prompt. Accept it with another ENTER, and finally press ENTER once more to exit the program.
You can delete the selected column grid status – and grips display – by pressing ESC.
- Save your work as ColumnGrid.dwg with the Save command.
Close ColumnGrid.dwg by selecting Application menu > Close > Current Drawing.
NOTE: File Tabs is a new feature in AutoCAD 2014, which allows you to easily and simply close the drawing. You can also use of course the Close (X) command at the top right corner of the drawing area.
I hope you enjoyed this part of the AutoCAD Architecture video tutorials series. In the next article I’ll show you how to Create the Construction Drawing and Insert Xref. If you liked this tutorial make sure you subscribe for more in the upper right corner (where you can also download the first chapters of my AutoCAD Architecture eBook free) and also subscribe to my YouTube channel.
If you would like to create the whole project of a two-story house with Sheets and Annotation, please follow the link and buy my eBook, which guides you step by step (Imperial and Metric version available).