In this tutorial I’m going to show you how to modify door/window assembly in AutoCAD Architecture.
At the bottom of this tutorial you can find a video screencast showing you how to insert and reposition your doors.
How to Modify Door/Window Assembly
In order to modify the same assembly like I do, first you have to insert a Hinged Single 2050 + Transom [Hinged Single 6-8 + Transom] named Door/Window Assembly. You can reach it like the following: Content Browser -> Design Tool Catalog (Metric or Imperial) -> Doors and Windows group -> Door and Window Assemblies group -> 3rd [4th] page.
Next step is to change the width of the frame of the entrance door to 100 mm [4”].
- Drop down the 2nd list of the Viewport controls and select the SE Isometric view.
- Select the entrance door. It is important not to select the door panel but the Door/Window Assembly, e.g.: select the exterior frame.
Switch on the Show Infill Markers toggle on the Ribbon contextual tab.
As a result those infill markers of the Door/Window Assembly object of the inserted entrance door displays. Now it is easy to select the combination in 3D views, as well.
- The entrance door stays selected, but if you dismissed the selection, select it by using one of the infill markers – the best the bottom –, to display the style Properties panel of the combination of the Edit Style button.
- On displaying panel go to the Design Rules tab, and in the left tree-list go to the Frames.
- At the right side it is seen that in this combination only one frame is used, no question about which size has to be set.
Go to the Default Frame at the right side, and set the Width parameter value down to 100 mm [4”].
- Press OK to close this command.
Then the door inserted to the bottom cell of the entrance door will be changed to Single double glass door style.
- Use the Design Tool catalog again and select a door style from it. Open the Content Browser (Ctrl+4), within it open the Design Tool Catalog – Metric [Design Tool Catalog – Imperial], and from the left list select the Doors and Windows group, and finally the Doors category.
- Within the category scroll to the 3rd page and search the Hinged – Single – Double Lite name door style.
- Take the cursor above the icon, until the cursor becomes pipette. Keep the left mouse button pressed and soak it up with the displaying pipette.
- When pipette is soaked itself up, keep the left mouse button pressed and drag the pipette into the AutoCAD drawing area, and there let the mouse button go about pouring there the content of the pipette.
- For command prompt not a wall will be selected, but – according to displayed infill marker in the figure – a Grid Assembly.
- After selecting the host grid assembly, select the cell in which the door will be inserted.
Move the cursor – with hatching – so that the program specify the bottom cell, and click with the left mouse button.
- After selecting the host cell, the Add Infill dialog box displays.
Leave the Add as Cell Assignment settings active and type the name of the new infill Hinged Single Double Lite.
- Press OK to close the panel and the new door style changes the original door type in the lower cell of the combination.
Then press ENTER to indicate that no more door insertion is expected.
- Select again the entrance door by using the infill markers, and then turn off the visibility of the Infill markers by pressing again the Show Infill Markers button.
In the following the originally independent inserted entrance door will be “unframed”, because in the combination only its panel is necessary. It is made under the original style name, because in the building the original frame type of the door is not needed.
- On the ViewCube select the Top view to stand back to the plan view.
Then you can see that the used entrance door style took the setting of the original frame.
- Select the door like in the figure (not the frame of the Assembly) Right-Click and select the Edit Door Style… command from the flyout.
- On displayed Dimensions tab of the Door Style Properties panel override the parameter of the Frame A-Width to 0, and turn off the Auto-Adjust to Width of Wall.
- Close the panel with OK. The plan symbol of the entrance door took on the desired display.
- This door style will be used for the last door insertion.
Select the entrance door – not the wings – and start the Add Selected command from the Ribbon.
- Before selecting the host wall, on the Properties palette set the Position along the wall to Offset/Center, and the Automatic offset to 450 mm [1’-5”].
- After it take the crosshair to the upper wall of the Passage and move the door according to the figure to be 450 mm [1’-5”] far from the left wall, and then Left-Click. Close the insertion with ENTER.
- If you have done the earlier videos, in that case the ground floor of the building in High Detail display configuration and in plan (top) view looks like in the figure now.
- Save the drawing with the Save command.
I hope you enjoyed this part of the AutoCAD Architecture video tutorials series In the next article I’ll show you how to create Structure of Stair. If you liked this tutorial make sure you subscribe for more in the upper right corner (where you can also download the first chapters of my AutoCAD Architecture eBook free) and also subscribe to my YouTube channel.
If you would like to create the whole project of a two-story house with Sheets and Annotation, please follow the link and buy my eBook, which guides you step by step (Imperial and Metric version available).